9.21.2011

BFA Project: Graphic Novel

HELLO, HI.

I'm feeling amazing. A couple weeks ago in my Business of Illustration class we presented our portfolios and helped each other decide which area of Illustration we would fit best into. I showed mine to the class, and we decided that it is definitely not children's book material, but could possibly fit into young adult novels, which is a small market. I explained that my work tends to focus on darker themes and that I tend to develop elaborate backstories to all my pieces.

So then my teacher said "What about graphic novels?" The class agreed.

Wow. I had never even thought of that!

So, today I spoke with m BFA advisor, and discussed my current plans on doing "Modernizing the Myth" as my final project. I was planning on doing 2 modernized myths from each of the Celtic Nations. But then I told her about the class discussion about how I want to do graphic novels someday, and she suggested that I just change my project to completing my own graphic novel and then sending it in to be published. The idea intimidates me, especially because of those people I know (coughJakeWyattcough) who are so incredible with it.

It intimidates me, and that is why I decided to do it.  I'm starting a graphic novel. It's still going to be a modernized version of a celtic myth. I'm planning on doing a WWII-era retelling of the 4th branch of the Mabinogion.  I'll be keeping you updated on my progress and the re-telling of the story as I complete this project. It will be on display in March. I'm pretty excited...

On another topic, here are some drawings I did in Wales this summer. This way, this post isn't just purely text and rambling, and it's sorta related because of Wales.

Here are some bits of Chepstow Castle I drew:



On the same topic (Chepstow Castle being the nearest to J.K. Rowling's childhood home) here are some drawings of Harry Potter characters. After seeing the movie, I decided to read the book. I couldn't get Daniel Radcliffe's stupid face out of my head so I decided to redraw the characters I wanted to imagine differently. Obviously I didn't draw a Harry Potter that I liked. So here are some others.



Notice how Ginny Weasley doesn't look like this anymore:




Here are some airport people I drew at Heathrow after spending the night sleeping on top of my luggage trolley. I showed these to my friend Griffin and he pointed to the girl with the writing on her bum and said "Bare butt!" Hahaha. Oh man.






5 comments:

Lizzie Nichols said...

Very nice. Very nice, indeed. Did you draw these with your bare hands? or your BEAR hands?

ellibean13 said...

Oh my god! Yes, thank you so much for drawing new HP characters!! I am a huge fan of Harry potter (books, not the movies) and ever since the first book came out all I see when I read the books is their stupid movie faces :/. I like your take on those characters far more.. Awesome.

Katie Bevan said...

Love your version of Harry Potter. I always hated how in the movies the made Hermione with straight pretty hair when it says her hair is frizzy and she has buck teeth.

Alex Pow said...

A graphic novel is such a great idea for you. I'm so excited to see it.

Morgan Rhys Gibbons said...

I love the re-imagining of HP characters. i've been meaning to do that as well.

also VERY pumped to see your graphic novel.